Hello. I’m a redhead of questionable authenticity, though all my intentions as a pre-raphaelite sprite are sincere. Despite my proclivities towards childish chair-spinning and watching Riverdale, I have a Distinction in MLitt Modernities and First Class Honours in MA English Literature at the University of Glasgow. This means I can sorta do words, occasionally flirt with the poststructuralists but mostly stare into the shadows of ontology. Just finished a dissertation on dark ecology and the contemporary novel; otherwise serving tables, painting abstraction, perfecting handwriting and constantly typing nonsense/trash/poppycock semiotics (what). Actually, most of the time I write on music and poetry and well… stuff.
Some things I’ve done/am doing:
– Founding editor of Gilded Dirt
– Co-editor of SPAM zine and online nonfiction editor
– Academic editing/collating/research Intern for Cambridge University Press edition of Virginia Woolf’s short fiction (supervisor: Bryony Randall)
– Dossier composer/writer for multiplatform exhibition with producer Lanark Artefax
– President of Glasgow University Creative Writing Society
– Brasserie Queen for 3 years running (role continues intermittent)
– Restaurant Supervisor & Proud Founder of #sadhospitality project
The girl that was once me started this blog back in 2013 as a self-set challenge to write more, to actually finish wee pieces and articles. Eventually it’s become this monstrous thing with essays on things like Wordsworth, Gossip Girl, nostalgia, Pokemon, the weather, The Archers, Lana Del Rey and vapourwave. Plz refrain from judging the cringe of the archives…
I try to muck about with visual art too and I bloody love music. RaveChild and GoldFlakePaint are kind enough to publish my reviews of records and gigs. Once, Conor Oberst retweeted something I’d written; this being ofc the apex of my entire existence.
I like my ecology like I like my coffee: dark, viscous; best consumed in strange situations. Hiya Timothy!
Happy for PR folks to say hi if they have cool tunes to listen to. Especially anything electronic, lo-fi, sad, edgy indie, dream pop, folk, ambient, noirish jazz, experimental disco or thereabouts.
If you want a chat (let’s bring back email) or have a question or a music pitch or astrological observation, find me at email@example.com or if it’s SPAM-related firstname.lastname@example.org